Web Designer - Brew Digital
Things have gotten crazy busy for Brew over the past year or so and it's time for us to take on another designer!
Could it be you?
We are looking for a creative, dynamic, enthusiastic and fast-learning designer to join the Brew team.
Brew is a web design and development agency based in Norwich, and as of 2018 is an independent department of Adaptavist, the largest (and best) global Atlassian partner. We're based in a neat little loft-style office bang in the city centre full of coffee and beer and standing desks and other agency cringe. We're called brew because we used to drink a lot of tea. Now we drink a lot of coffee too.
As a place to do design
I think it's fair to say Brew is a company that respects and takes design seriously and there is a big place for creativity and play. In our day to day we plan and design website designs, put together UX strategies and adapt and expand UIs as well as come up with new brand identities, draw illustrations and even animate the odd gif.
As a place to work
Well for starters we're a great bunch. We have a great office in central norwich with a pool table and a help-yourself soft and hard drinks fridge. We have flexible working hours, open holiday **policy** and a company-sponsored night out once a month. Also as department of a much larger company we enjoy the benefits of a larger company such as pensions, private healthcare and a legendary Christmas week.
We have a varied roster of clients and service offering. At any time we are working on both large apps that require weeks of design and months of development as well as smaller design work that can be turned around in hours. Where possible we use the agile method of development and that touches on design and this means that even very large projects don't have to feel huge and never-ending.
A lot of collaboration happens on projects with Brew and before any major project every department is involved. This gives you a huge sense of ownership in every project.
Things change in the web often so we are always encourages to try new things. We send people to conferences, have fortnightly lightening talks where we share our own knowledge with the team, and a budget for books and educational resources and host our own workshops.
As a place to play
We literally play. We have a pool table, dart board, arcade console and a board game we made in-house that is ace. We also have emergency beer for Fridays and have a company-sponsored night out on the last Thursday of each month.
We are not looking for a specific level of experience and are open to consider designers from new graduates up to senior designers.
We would like you to be able to demonstrate the following: (although don't worry, there's no written test!)
- Familiarity with the principles of UX (if you're very new I suggest you read this classic)
- An eye for detail and how design systems work
- Ability to absorb and work within existing styles
- Experience with the web design software Sketch. Knowledge of the Adobe suite are applicable, but Sketch is Brew's committed platform for web design.
Not requirements but it would be interesting if you could demonstrate the following:
- A chameleon-like ability to mirror existing illustration and design styles
- A passing knowledge of print best practice and maybe even InDesign
- How to make animated gifs
- Video editing (we do some of this on the odd occasion).
All Brewsters enjoy the following:
- A nice shiny Apple laptop and a standing desk.
- Unlimited Holiday Allowance
- Subscriptions to whatever online learning platforms you are interested in
- A pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- "Pledge 1%" meaning our employees may devote 1% of their work time to charitable causes of their choosing
As we are open to any experience level, salary will depend on experience.